I went to the Telluride Bluegrass Festival and volunteered, with the urging of my son Ben. We both worked at the gate checking bags (for glass and alcohol) or monitoring the exits and entrances. In return, we got our admission paid for. Even though I didn't get much sleep and drove for about 8 hours there and back, the festival exceeded my expectations: the music was great, the event was very well run, the setting was marvelous, the food and beer were wonderful and reasonably priced, and the residents were very welcoming and friendly. What a great place it would be to live year round. In the summer, they have a music festival every weekend but one. The area is also committed to sustainability, it has formed The New Community Coalition, focusing on energy efficiency, renewable energy, green building, food security, resource recovery/recycling, education, and economy. Composting collection is done at the festival and is used by a local organic farm, even the plates and plastic ware were compostable. As a bag checker, I was amused and amazed at the number of beer cups that people were reusing, this was encouraged by a reduction of $2 from the price. Telluride is in a box canyon, it is a unique setting and very beautiful with snow still visible on the surrounding peaks. We rode the gondola on Saturday to nearby Mountain Village, and Ben and I took a hike on Sunday to the base of Bridal Veil Falls, see pictures. We were also joined on the weekend by Ben's friends Andy and Jason, Andy's 4-year old son Cameron, Andy's Mom Nancy and Andy's friend from NC David who ran (and finished #53!) a 50 mile race at Lake City, over ten miles of it was along the Continental Divide during a blizzard. I stayed the first night in the Umcompaghre National Forest because I didn't have a camping pass in town with Ben and his friends, but then stayed the next three nights with them. The highlight was going to the Greensky Bluegrass "Nightgrass Concert". I amazed the young people by staying up until 2:30 AM to the conclusion of the concert. Thanks to my partner Kathy for covering for me back at Bryce during their Astronomy Festival and kudos to her for what she did on Saturday: a 24 mile hike in Bryce Canyon and then staying up until 1:30 AM to help with the barbecue after the astronomy show ended. What an amazing double extravaganza on her part. see www.bluegrass.com and www.lakecity50.com
Thursday, June 25, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Glad you enjoyed Telluride, Scott. It gave me the creeps when I was there about 30 years ago--I felt "boxed in" and didn't stay to camp. The ski slopes were very impressive.
ReplyDelete